In my last full day in Nairobi, we had the chance to discuss Kenyan culture and politics. Politics are fascinating, especially when comparing certain regions. The coastal people are marginalized in Kenya. Stereotypically, they are considered lazy, but in actually, they are a hardworking, proud, kind people.They do not have representatives in government, nor do they have much wealth. The new constitution is addressing this lack of representation, which hopefully will provide representation.
We also spoke of culture and manners. Some highlights include:
1.) Using your left hand to give anyone anything (or to eat with) is considered very rude, as is pointing with one finger.
2.) Throwing or tossing something to someone is a cultural no-no.
3.) Men need to wait for women to initiate handshakes in some cases.
4.) Averting eye contact when talking to someone is important (looking someone directly in the eye for a long period of time is "aggressive")
5.) Bowing (or bending) while shaking hands with an elder is considered good manners, as is serving or letting elders eat first at the dinner table.
I can't tell you how many times I had to tell myself to switch hands when handing something to someone after I had learned about the left hand rule. This made me realize that I probably made that mistake about 50 times at the hotel and in orientation earlier this week.
Also, I am planning on putting pictures up soon. I apologize for the lack of them, but I haven't really gotten out much. Just to buy a cell phone or 'mobile.' The system that they have for phone plans is so much better than the one in America... and cheaper. Buy a phone- mine is basic and cost me 30 bills, buy a 'provider' SIM card (this costs about 3 dollars) and buy minutes (this costs about 2 cents a minute). The only issue is that I'm 8 hours ahead, so finding the right time to talk is a bit tricky...
Lovin this Adam. Hopefully the Noskoboom doesn't go global! Proud of you buddy.
ReplyDelete